Savvy welcomes students from all tertiary institutions throughout New Zealand, including Asia Savvy alumni and friends as well as new undergraduate and post-graduate students. Our conference and other networking events provide the opportunity for students to connect by sharing ideas and experiences.
Students engage in an informal learning environment with professional speakers from industry and experts from academia and the public/NGO sectors,. Speakers discuss key issues and challenges relevant to the conference topic, sharing their stories, insights and knowledge from on-the-ground experience in Asia.
Applicants submit a 300 word essay to secure a place at the conference. Prizes are awarded for best essays along with the chance to be published in our conference e-book. The conference provides ample opportunity for students to engage in lively discussions and share ideas and experiences.
ASIA SAVVY CONFERENCE
Are you keen on increasing your leadership potential by being Asia-Savvy AND…
- Learning from and interacting with experts from academia, industry, government and NGO sectors in lively discussions and workshops.
- Networking with like-minded students in discussions and workshops.
- Having the opportunity to have your essay published.
About this year’s conference and Our People
Discover the importance of building cross-cultural knowledge.
Develop skills to succeed in a connected yet diverse world.
To celebrate Asia Savvy’s 10-year anniversary we have ‘savvied-up’ with two new offerings:
- A Lego Serious Play workshop to improve creative thinking and communication
- ASIASAVVYx – Four places for Asia-Savvy students to present their own inspiring stories
Additionally, we will:
- explore the relevance of cross-cultural differences and how they impact our future global careers
- identify the key skills needed to succeed in this global and inter-connected world
Student will be able to engage directly with experts working across different cultures and share their valuable experiences.
- Learn about the personal skills, work habits and strategies that have helped our speakers succeed internationally.
- And what these cross-cultural experts wished they had known earlier in their journeys
An awesome day awaits including healthy food, prizes and quizzes, followed by a dinner for you and new friends
at the University of Auckland’.
|9.30am||Registration, tea and coffee|
|10.15am||ASIASAVVYx TED style student talks
Four students present their own stories to inspire and inform attendees
10 mins presentations followed by 20 mins Q&A
Moderator: Marie Landingin
|11.30am||Workshop: Cross-cultural learning with LEGO Serious play
Hands-on communication and collaboration skills specific for diverse teams. Focus on individual values and challenges and discuss.
Led by Antje Fiedler, Graduate School of Management, University of Auckland Business School
|12.30pm||Networking lunch sponsored by Asia New Zealand Foundation
|1:45pm||Panel Discussion: Our stories – showing success stories
Moderator: Jennie Zhang, Asia Savvy Committee
|3.15pm||Breakout session: Cross-cultural story telling
Moderator: Joshua Murphy, Asia Savvy Committee
|3.40pm||Awards and concluding remarks|
|4.10pm||Asia Savvy quiz sponsored by Gong Cha|
|5-6.30pm||Networking dinner, Level 1, Sir Owen G Glenn Building|
Meet the committee for the 2020 Asia Savvy Conference.
This student-led conference is organised and supported by the New Zealand Asia Institute of the University of Auckland. It aims to attract a dynamic group of students from New Zealand universities nationwide. This presents attractive sponsorship opportunities for business and organisations whose participation would enhance the event.
The Asia Savvy Ambassador Programme provides students with the opportunity to act as liaisons between Asia Savvy and their respective universities.